Installing an audio device in Windows 10 can be a necessary process when upgrading to a new operating system. This new software has brought many advances in terms of functions, tools and user interface, but also some technical shortcomings which are just annoying, like the inability to play audio because Windows says it doesn’t have an audio output device.
The solution to this problem in Windows 10 is very simple, in the following guide we will show you step by step how to listen to your songs and any file you want to listen to again.
You can also read: My Headphones Are Not Working In Windows. 10 Solutions
What does the message “Audio output device not installed” mean in Windows, what does this error refer to?
This problem occurs every time we update our operating system or do a complete cleaning of our computer. In these cases, Windows shows us this warning telling us that the computer or the software does not recognize any audio output hardware, and this can occur due to many reasons.
- During the update: When we update the operating system, Windows due to an error or any other reason may not allow the update of the drivers to detect the audio hardware, which is a situation that puts everyone in trouble.
- Cleaning the computer: if this situation occurs, it means that cleaning the computer did not configure the audio hardware driver and therefore the device could not be detected.
- Bad connection: In desktop computers it is often the case that the cables are not properly connected.
- Lack of updates: drivers need to be updated. If we neglect this aspect, many devices in our team will begin to fail or even stop working.
How to install an audio device in Windows 10, follow these steps.
- From the Windows menu, type “Device Manager” in the search bar and hit “Enter”.
- In the window that appears, you have to look for the option “Game controllers with audio and video controllers”. In the “Action” menu, find the “Add legitimate hardware” option and click on it.
- A new window will appear called “Hardware installation wizard“, where you must click on the” Next “option to continue with the installation.
- In the box that appears next to it, select the option “Find and install hardware automatically“To do this, make sure you are connected to the Internet and click the” Next “option to proceed to the next step.
- Locate and select the option “Game, video and gaming device drivers” and then click “Next”.
- You must click “Next” again to start installing the drivers. This process it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. Next, right-click on the controller and select the “Enable devices” option.
After completing all the steps, of course, we can see in the lower panel how the problem has been solved, but it is possible that Windows asks us to restart the computer, after which we can use our audio effectively again.
In Windows 8
As we have mentioned before, these are driver failures or even known drivers, in Windows 8 the solution is very similar, we just have to follow the following steps:
- Download the driver. You can download the driver from the manufacturer’s website, since it may be that the driver we are using is no longer compatible with Windows 8.
- Run the troubleshooter. Let’s download the audio troubleshooter and get it going. Follow all the steps and let’s select the driver that we just installed, although you can install the driver without it, simply by clicking (double-clicking) on the downloaded file a few times.
For Windows 7
There are many other solutions for Windows 7, but it is best to follow this procedure because it will solve the problem instantly.
- Each driver is software that offers a solution for a faulty driver or a problem that has occurred on our computer due to drivers.
- Run the program: If the program is already loaded, launch it and select all the options that should start it up. Although in this case, as it is an audio-only solution, we can simply select “MEDIUM” and then under “Start (s)” click on “Install ….”. (Recommended) “to install the necessary drivers.
- The computer will shut down automatically and it will turn back on when the problem is solved.
What if I still can’t install the audio hardware? Possible causes and solutions
If you have tried all the above steps and methods but still cannot resolve the issue, the true causes and issues may be as follows. If you have encountered any of these errors or they are the cause of your problem, you must follow the advice that we leave you for the solution to be effective.
1. Audio driver error
If everything we mentioned above did not help, it means that the existing driver for that audio device is yesSimply incompatible with the Windows version you are using, or it just isn’t compatible with any version of Windows.
So the solution is simple: buy another audio device, but make sure it is compatible with the version of Windows you are using.
2. Device port error
If you have a connection port error, you simply have to find another port to listen to the audio, otherwise the problem will not be solved. This situation is common in desktop computers. So if you don’t know how to replace the port, you must replace the port, since it may be damaged.
3. Internal hardware failure
If you are sure that it is an internal failure, there is only one option: buy a new device or return the one you already have, because if this problem is not solved, you will not be able to hear the sound on your computer or on another device.
So when buying a new audio device, make sure not to expose it to constant shocks or heavy impacts, because these are some of the reasons why these devices fail.
You can also read: How To Use Audacity Audio Editor. Updated Guide