Many users are aware of the ability to control a computer from an Android phone or iPhone using remote desktop programs , but this may not always be convenient: for example, if you only need to switch tracks in the player, decrease or increase the volume, turn off the computer while not in front of it - Remote desktop is not the best option. In this case, there are remote control applications for the computer and one of the most popular is Unified Remote.
In this review, about using the Unified Remote application on a phone as a remote control for a computer or laptop: Windows, Mac OS and Linux are supported, as a remote control are Android and iOS devices, and most of the functions are available for free. It may also be interesting: TV remote from your phone , Fancy ways to use Android .
Install Unified Remote
Before you start using the phone for remote control in Unified Remote, you will need to install the application on the smartphone itself, as well as on the computer:
- To download the server part to a computer or laptop with a supported OS, use the official website https://www.unifiedremote.com/download . Installation is not difficult, it is usually enough to use the default settings and allow the installation of the appropriate driver.
- For your phone, download the Unified Remote app from the Play Store ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.Remote ) or the App Store.
After installation on all devices you can proceed, the only requirement: both devices must either be connected to the same Wi-Fi network, or there must be a Bluetooth connection between them.
Note: if there are any connection problems and if there are third-party antiviruses or firewalls on both the computer and the phone, try temporarily disconnecting them and checking if this solves the problem.
Using Unified Remote to control your computer from your phone
After everything is installed, the first launch and use of Unified Remote will look like this:
- We launch the application on the phone: in the first step you will be prompted to log in with your Google account, but this is not necessary (you can click “Skip this step”). Immediately after that, either a list of computers with Unified Remote can be connected to which you can connect, or, if there is only one such computer, the connection will occur automatically.
- You will find yourself on the main screen of the application, which contains the possible functions of remote control, which will be discussed later.
- If you click on the Plus icon, you can add new “remotes”, for example, to control the VLC media player, launch the Windows Start menu (the items I have specified are free, but some of the additional controls that are offered require the purchase of a full Unified Remote license).
- In the free version, from time to time you will see a message with a proposal to purchase the full version, as in the screenshot below, just click "Skip and continue".
The controls themselves, despite the fact that there is no Russian interface language in Unified Remote, are quite simple:
- Basic Input is just a screen for controlling the mouse (for a right click - pressing with two fingers), it is also possible to launch a virtual keyboard and adjust the volume from it.
- File Manager - files on your computer. When you select a file, it runs on the computer, and not on the phone.
- Keyboard - keyboard.
- Media - tools for controlling the playback of media files.
- Power - shutdown, reboot, logout, lock remote computer.
- Screen - view a remote screen (not available for free).
Also on the computer where the Unified Remote server is running, you will see the corresponding icon in the notification area, on the right-click on which the menu opens. If you select "Manager" in it, the Unified Remote setting will open in the browser. Here, for example, you can disable or configure “remotes” for different applications.
If you open “Client”, management as a client opens, including the ability to use controls within the browser. It seems that management is possible between different computers, not just from the phone, but I couldn’t make sure and check the connection methods for this.
In general, the application is convenient, especially if in the evening you have no desire to get up and go to a computer that is playing something or performing other tasks. It can be recommended for use.