One of the most common problems for users is that the space on the computer’s hard drive is unknown and for the purpose of analyzing what exactly takes up space, there are paid and free programs, some of which I wrote earlier in the article How to find out what the disk space is .
WizTree is another free program for analyzing the contents of a hard drive, ssd or external drive, among the advantages of which are: high speed and the presence of the Russian interface language. It is about this program that will be discussed later in the article. It may also be useful: How to clean up C drive from unnecessary files .
The WizTree program is available for free download on the official website . At the same time, I recommend downloading the version of the program that does not require Portable installation (the link "portable zip" on the official page).
By default, the program does not have a Russian interface language. To install it, download one more file - Russian in the Translations section on the same page, unzip it and copy the “ru” folder to the “locale” folder of WizTree.
After starting the program, go to the Options - Language menu and select the Russian interface language. For some reason, after the first launch of the program, the choice of Russian was not available to me, but it appeared after the closure and restart of WizTree.
Using WizTree to Check What Disk Space Is Used
Further work with the WizTree program, I think, should not cause difficulties even for novice users.
- Select the disk whose contents you want to analyze and click the "Analysis" button.
- On the “Tree” tab, you will see a tree-like structure of folders on the disk with information about how much each one takes.
- By expanding any of the folders, you can see which subfolders and files take up disk space.
- The Files tab displays a list of all files on the disk, the largest of which are located at the top of the list.
- For files, the Windows context menu is available, the ability to view the file in Explorer, and if desired, delete it (this can also be done simply by pressing Delete on the keyboard).
- If necessary, on the “Files” tab, you can use the filter to search only certain files, for example, only with the extension .mp4 or .jpg.
Perhaps this is all about the use of WizTree: as noted, it is quite simple, but also quite effective in order to get an idea of the contents of your disc.
If you find some incomprehensible file or folder taking up a lot of space in the program, I do not recommend deleting them right away - first search the Internet for what kind of file or folder it is: they may be necessary for the system to work properly.
On this topic it may be useful: