Few Microsoft Office users know what add-ins for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook are, and if they ask such a question, it usually has the character: what is Office Addin in my programs.
Office add-ons are special modules (plug-ins) for Microsoft office programs that extend their functionality, a kind of “Extensions” in the Google Chrome browser, which are much more familiar to people. If you lack some functionality in the office software you use, it is likely that the necessary functions will be implemented in third-party add-ons (some examples are given in the article). See also: Best Free Office for Windows .
Despite the fact that add-ons for Office (addins) appeared a long time ago, their search, installation and use only for the latest versions of Microsoft office programs - 2013, 2016 (or Office 365) from an official source will be considered here.
Office Add-ons Store
To search and install add-ons for Microsoft Office, there is a corresponding official store for these add-ons - https://store.office.com (most add-ons are free).
All available add-ons in the store are sorted by program - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and others, as well as by category (scope).
Given that not many people use add-ons, there are also few reviews. In addition, not all of them have Russian descriptions. Nevertheless, you can find interesting, necessary and Russian additions. You can simply search by category and program, or you can use the search if you know what you need.
Install and use add-ons
To install add-ons, you must be logged into your Microsoft account both in the Office store and in office applications on your computer.
After that, having chosen the necessary add-in, just click “Add” to add it to your office applications. Upon completion of the addition, you will see instructions on what to do next. Its essence is as follows:
- Launch the Office application for which the add-in was installed (you must log in with the same account in it, the “Login” button in the upper right in Office 2013 and 2016).
- In the "Insert" menu, click "My Add-ons", select the one you want (if nothing is displayed, then click "Update" in the list of all add-ons).
Further actions depend on the specific add-in and on what functions it provides, many of them contain built-in help.
For example, a tested Yandex translator is displayed in a separate panel in Microsoft Word on the right, as in the screenshot.
Another add-in, which serves to create beautiful graphs in Excel, has three buttons in its interface with which you can select data from a table, display settings, and other parameters.
What add-ons are available
To begin with, I note that I am not a guru of Word, Excel or PowerPoint, however, I’m sure that for those who work with this software a lot and productively, there are useful options for add-ons that can allow you to implement new functions when working or to perform them more efficiently.
Among the interesting things that I managed to find after a brief study of the assortment of the Office store:
- Emoji Keyboards for Word and PowerPoint (see Emoji Keyboard).
- Add-ins for managing tasks, contacts, projects.
- Third-party cliparts (photos and pictures) for Word and PowerPoint presentations, see the Pickit Presentation Images add-in (this is not the only option, there are others, for example, Pexels).
- Tests and polls embedded in PowerPoint presentations (see "Ficus", there are other options).
- Tools for embedding YouTube videos in PowerPoint presentations.
- Many add-ons for building graphs and charts.
- Customizable autoresponder for Outlook (Mail Responder Free, true only for corporate Office 365, as I understand it).
- Tools for working with electronic signatures for letters and documents.
- Popular translators.
- Generator of QR codes for Office documents (QR4Office add-in).
This is not an exhaustive list of features that become available with Office add-ins. Yes, and this review does not intend to describe all the features or give complete instructions for using any particular add-in.
The goal is different - to draw the attention of a Microsoft Office user to the very fact of the possibility of installing them, I think among them there will be those to whom it will really be useful.