The ability to search by image in Google or Yandex is a convenient and easy-to-use thing on the computer, however, if you need to search from the phone, the novice user may encounter difficulties: there is no camera icon to upload your image to the search.
This manual details how to search for a picture on an Android or iPhone phone in several simple ways in the two most popular search engines, as well as using digital photo camera assistants. Also, at the end of the article there is a video instruction where all this is shown clearly.
Google Chrome Image Search on Android and iPhone
First, a simple search by phone picture (search for similar images) in the most common mobile browser - Google Chrome, which is available on both Android and iOS. The same approach can be used in other browsers.
Search steps will be almost the same for both platforms
- Visit https://www.google.com/imghp or https://images.google.com (if you need to search Google images). You can also simply go to the main page of the search engine, and then click on the link “Pictures”.
- In the browser menu, select "PC Version" or "Full Version" (the menu in Chrome for iOS and Android is slightly different, but the essence does not change).
- The page will reload and an icon with a camera will appear in the search bar, click on it and either indicate the address of the image on the Internet, or click on “Choose file”, and then either select the file from the phone or take a picture with the built-in camera of your phone. Again, on Android and iPhone the interface will be different, but the essence is unchanged.
- As a result, you will receive information about what, according to the search engine, is shown in the picture and a list of images, as if you were searching on a computer.
- Also in Google Chrome on the phone there is an additional ability to search by image: if the image is already open in the browser, click on it and hold until the menu appears. Select “Find this image on Google” to find images that look like an open one.
As you can see, searching for a picture in Google using a browser on your phone does not present any difficulties, although it does require knowledge of the ability to enable the full version of the site.
Yandex image search from phone
If you go to the page https://yandex.ru/images/ in any browser on your phone, the camera icon will appear to the right of the search bar, by clicking on which you can upload a picture from the gallery or take a photo and search for it. If the icon does not appear, use the method with the full version of the site from the previous section of the instruction.
If the Yandex application is installed on your phone, you can search the image without the tricks described above, using this application directly.
- In the Yandex application, click on the icon with the camera.
- Take a picture or click on the icon marked in the screenshot to indicate the picture stored on the phone.
- Get information about what is shown in the picture (also, if the image contains text, Yandex will display it).
Using Google Assistants Assistant and Yandex Alice to search a camera photo
If you have an Android phone, it is very likely that Google Assistant is installed on it, triggered by the phrase “Ok Google” or, on some phones, a separate button. After starting the assistant, a dialog opens at the bottom of the phone screen. If you pull it up, down, to the left of the microphone, you will see a button that allows you to take a photo and search for it and determine what it is using Google.
If you use Yandex Alice (available for free for Android and iPhone), then by opening a dialogue with her and either clicking on the camera button in the lower right, or asking: “Determine that it’s from the picture”, you can take a picture (or upload a photo from the phone), and then get information about what exactly is shown in the photo and access to search for this photo in Yandex.
By the way, some things (for example, when you need to identify a plant in the photo) Alice defines better than analogues.
I hope the information turned out to be useful and will be useful to you.