If you came to this article, then, almost guaranteed, you need to learn how to format a USB flash drive in NTFS. I’ll talk about this now, but at the same time I recommend that you read the article FAT32 or NTFS - which file system to choose for a flash drive (opens in a new tab).
So, with the introduction finished, we proceed, in fact, to the subject matter of the instruction. First of all, I note in advance that some program is not needed to format a USB flash drive in NTFS - all the necessary functions are present in Windows by default. See also: how to format a write-protected flash drive , What to do if Windows cannot complete formatting .
Formatting a flash drive in NTFS on Windows
So, as already mentioned, special programs for formatting flash drives in NTFS are not needed. Simply connect the USB drive to your computer and use the built-in tools of the operating system:
- Open "Explorer" or "My computer";
- Right-click on the icon of your flash drive, and in the pop-up menu that appears, select "Format".
- In the "Formatting" dialog box that opens, in the "File System" field, select "NTFS". The values of the remaining fields can not be changed. May be interesting: What is the difference between fast and full formatting .
- Click the “Start” button and wait until the flash drive formatting is complete.
These simple steps are enough to bring your media to the desired file system.
If the flash drive is not formatted in this way, try the following method.
How to format a USB flash drive in NTFS using the command line
In order to use the standard format command on the command line, run it as administrator, for which:
- In Windows 8, on the desktop, press the Win + X keyboard keys and select Command Prompt (Administrator) from the menu that appears.
- In Windows 7 and Windows XP - find the "Command Prompt" in the Start menu in standard programs, right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator".
Once this has been done, at the command prompt, type:
format / FS: NTFS E: / q
where E: is the letter of your flash drive.
After entering the command, press Enter, if necessary, enter the drive label and confirm your intention and delete all data.
That's all! Formatting the flash drive in NTFS is completed.