If McAfee antivirus (Total Protection or another) was preinstalled on your computer or laptop, or if it was installed “after yourself” after some of your actions, it is possible that you will want to remove it. However, this does not always go smoothly: especially with some errors when deleting.
This instruction manual details how to completely remove McAfee from a computer or laptop using the system tools and using the official McAfee product removal utility, as well as the common reasons that the antivirus cannot be removed. A similar topic: How to completely remove Avast from a computer .
Easy McAfee removal by Windows and why it might not work
McAfee antivirus and other developer products are easily removed through the control panel - programs and components. The most common causes of McAfee full removal problems:
- Using third - party uninstall programs . They may be useful when uninstalling other programs, but it is better not to use them for antiviruses, at least before using the official uninstaller and restarting the computer. Reason: removal of the antivirus is a process from more than one step and after the official uninstaller has worked, it is not necessary to clear data and residues and is sometimes harmful. Completing the removal of the antivirus takes place after a mandatory restart of the computer. And third-party uninstallers often begin to do this until the removal is actually completed (that is, before the reboot), which leads to problems.
- Sometimes a user, using McAfee removal in the control panel without performing a reboot (moreover, it requires a reboot rather than shutting down and turning it on, this may be important in Windows 10), starts to delete the folders left by the antivirus or immediately install a new one (which will tell that you already have McAfee installed and will not install). This does not need to be done, first reboot to complete the uninstall.
Thus, if you take into account the above points, you can usually remove McAfee using the following steps:
- Go to the control panel (in Windows 10, you can use the search in the taskbar), open the "Programs and Features" item, select the McAfee product you need, and click "Uninstall" or "Uninstall / Change." If you have multiple products displayed, select “primary,” for example, McAfee Total Protection.
- Go through all the removal steps, noting that you need to delete everything that is on the computer.
- After the process is complete, be sure to restart Windows. And after that it is already possible, if necessary, to manually delete the anti-virus folders.
As a rule, if you use this method, do not start to manipulate folders or “automatically clean the tails” before rebooting, then the removal will succeed. If it doesn’t work, we use the second method, using the official McAfee removal utility.
How to completely remove McAfee with McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR)
If you have problems uninstalling McAfee from your Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 computer, you can use the official McAfee Consumer Product Removal utility that completely removes all McAfee products. Ideally, run the utility in safe mode, but usually works without it:
- Download McAfee Consumer Product Removal from the official website https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en_US&articleId=TS101331 (sometimes opens for a long time, the direct MCRP download link is us.mcafee.com/apps /supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp )
- Run the utility, click “Next” in the main window, where you will be informed that all McAfee products will be completely removed, and in the next window confirm your agreement with the conditions (select “Agree”).
- Enter the deletion confirmation code. Note: in this code, uppercase and lowercase letters are different.
- Wait for the removal process to complete.
- Be sure to restart your computer.
On this, McAfee will be removed from your computer or laptop.
Please note: if after various unsuccessful attempts to remove McAfee your proprietary utility also stopped working, the reason may be that the installation files and registry entries were corrupted by your actions. Then a possible solution might be to reinstall the same McAfee antivirus, restart the computer, and only then use the removal utility.
Uninstall McAfee on Windows - video instruction
That's all. I hope that in your case everything went well, and you finally got rid of McAfee on your device.