PDF files are common for books, magazines, documents (including those requiring completion and signature) and other text and graphic materials. Despite the fact that modern OSs allow viewing PDF files only with the help of built-in programs, the question of how to open these files remains relevant.
This beginner's guide details how to open PDF files in Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7, as well as on other operating systems, the differences in the methods and additional functions available in each of the "PDF readers" that may be useful to the user. It may also be interesting: How to convert PDF to Word .
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a free PDF program from PDF authors.
- How to open a PDF file in a browser - reading PDF in modern browsers: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Yandex.Browser and others.
- Sumatra PDF is a compact open source program for reading PDF, djvu, epub, mobi and some other formats, available as a portable version.
- Foxit Reader is one of the most popular and functional free programs - analogues of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Microsoft Word - About reading and editing PDF files in Word.
- Nitro PDF Reader is another powerful utility for working with PDF, but without the support of the Russian language.
- How to open PDF on Android, iPhone and iPad
- How to enable thumbnails of PDF files in Windows 10, 8 and Windows Explorer
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a “standard” program for opening PDF files. It is such for the reason that the PDF format itself is an Adobe product.
Given that this PDF reader is kind of official, it most fully supports all the functions for working with this type of file (with the exception of full editing - here you will need already paid software)
- Work with a table of contents, bookmarks.
- Ability to create notes, selections in PDF.
- Filling out the forms presented in PDF format (for example, a bank can send you a questionnaire in this form).
The program is in Russian, with a convenient interface, tab support for different PDF files and probably contains everything that may be required when working with this type of file, not related to their creation and full editing.
Of the possible disadvantages of the program
- Compared to other similar products, Acrobat Reader DC is more “heavy” and adds Adobe services to startup (which is not justified if you need to work with PDF occasionally).
- Some functions of working with PDF (for example, “edit PDF”) are presented in the program interface, but they work only as “links” to the paid Adobe Acrobat Pro DC product. It may not be very convenient, especially for a novice user.
- When you download the program from the official website, you will be “on the load” with additional, unnecessary software for most users. But it is easy to refuse it, see the screenshot below.
One way or another, Adobe Acrobat Reader is probably the most powerful of the free programs that allows you to open PDF files and perform basic actions on them.
You can download free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in Russian from the official site https://get.adobe.com/en/reader/
Note: versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader for MacOS, iPhone and Android are also available (you can download them in the corresponding application stores).
How to open PDF in Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and other browsers
Modern browsers based on Chromium (Google Chrome, Opera, Yandex.Browser and others), as well as the Microsoft Edge browser built into Windows 10, support opening PDF without any plug-ins.
To open a PDF file in a browser, simply click on the file with the right mouse button and select “Open with”, or drag and drop the file onto the browser window. And in Windows 10, the Edge browser is the default program to open this file format (i.e. just double-click on PDF).
When viewing PDF through a browser, only basic functions are available, such as page navigation, zoom settings and other options for viewing a document. However, in many cases, these features correspond to what is required, and installation of additional programs for opening PDF files is not required.
Sumatra PDF is a completely free open source program for opening PDF files in Windows 10, 8, Windows 7 and XP (it also allows you to open djvu , epub, mobi and some other popular formats).
Among the advantages of Sumatra PDF - high speed, user-friendly interface (with tab support) in Russian, various viewing options, as well as the ability to use a portable version of the program that does not require installation on a computer.
Of the limitations of the program is the inability to edit (fill out) PDF forms, add comments (notes) to a document.
If you are a student, teacher or user who often views literature available on the Internet in various formats distributed on the Russian-speaking Internet, and not just in PDF, and you don’t want to “load” your computer with heavy software, perhaps Sumatra PDF is the best program For these purposes, I recommend to try.
You can download the Russian version of Sumatra PDF for free from the official website https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader-ru.html
Another popular PDF file reader is Foxit Reader. This is a kind of analogue of Adobe Acrobat Reader with a slightly different interface (for some it may seem more convenient, since it is more reminiscent of Microsoft products) and almost the same functions for working with PDF files (and also offering paid software for creating and editing PDF files, in this case - Foxit PDF Phantom).
All the necessary functions and features are present in the program: starting with convenient navigation, ending with text selection, filling out forms, creating notes and even plug-ins for Microsoft Word (for export to PDF, which is already present in the latest versions of Office).
Verdict: if you need a powerful and free product to open a PDF file and perform basic operations with it, but Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is not to your liking, try Foxit Reader, maybe it will be more pleasant.
You can download Foxit PDF Reader in Russian from the official website https://www.foxitsoftware.com/en/products/pdf-reader/
The latest versions of Microsoft Word (2013, 2016, as part of Office 365) also allow you to open PDF files, though they do it a little differently than the programs listed above and this method is not quite suitable for simple reading.
When you open a PDF through Microsoft Word, the document is converted to the Office format (and this can take a long time for large documents) and becomes editable (but not for PDFs, which are scanned pages).
After editing, the file can be saved both in the native Word format, and exported back to PDF format. More details on this topic in the article How to edit a PDF file .
Nitro PDF Reader
About Nitro PDF Reader in brief: a free and powerful program for opening, reading, annotating PDF files, popular, in the comments they say that it is already available in Russian (at the time of the initial writing of the review it was not).
However, if English is not a problem for you - take a look, I do not exclude that you will find a pleasant interface, a set of functions (including notes, image extraction, text selection, signing documents, and it is possible to store several digital IDs, convert PDF to text and others )
Official Nitro PDF Reader download page https://www.gonitro.com/en/pdf-reader
How to open PDF on Android and iPhone
If you need to read PDF files on your Android phone or tablet, as well as on your iPhone or iPad, then in the Google Play Store and in the Apple App Store you can easily find more than a dozen different PDF readers, among which are
- For Android - Adobe Acrobat Reader and Google PDF Viewer
- For iPhone and iPad - Adobe Acrobat Reader (however, if you only need to read PDF, then the built-in iBooks application works fine as an iPhone reader).
With a high probability, this small set of applications for opening PDF will suit you (and if not, look at other applications that are plentiful in stores, but I recommend reading reviews).
Preview PDF files (thumbnails) in Windows Explorer
In addition to opening a PDF, you may find it useful to have the ability to preview PDF files in Windows 10, 8, or Windows 7 (on MacOS, for example, this feature is present by default, as well as firmware for reading PDFs).
You can implement this on Windows in various ways, for example, using third-party PDF Preview software, or using separate programs for reading the PDF files presented above.
They know how to do it:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - for this, the program must be installed to view PDF by default in Windows, and in the "Edit" - "Preferences" - "General" menu you need to enable the option "Enable PDF preview thumbnails in Explorer."
- Nitro PDF Reader - when installed as the default program for PDF files ( Windows 10 default programs may come in handy here).
This concludes this: if you have your own suggestions for opening PDF files or have questions, you will find a comment form below.