Google posted in the Play Store its own application for cleaning the internal memory of Android - Files Go (so far in beta, but it already works and is available for download). Some reviews position the application as a file manager, but in my opinion, it is still more a utility for cleaning, and the supply of functions for managing files is not so great.
In this short review, it’s about the functions of Files Go and how the application can help if you encounter messages that there is not enough memory on Android or just want to clean up your phone or tablet from garbage. See also: How to use an SD memory card as an internal Android memory , Top file managers for Android .
Files Go Features
You can find and download the free Google Files Storage Go memory cleanup app on the Play Store. After installing the application, launching and accepting the agreement, you will see a simple interface, for the most part in Russian (but not quite, some points have not yet been translated). Update 2018: now the application is called Files by Google, completely in Russian, and has new features, an overview: Clearing Android memory and the file manager Files by Google .
Clear internal memory
On the main tab, “Storage”, you will see information on the occupied space in the internal memory and on the SD memory card, and below - cards with the offer to clear various elements, among which there may be (if there is no specific type of data to clear, the card is not displayed) .
- Application cache
- Unused applications for a long period of time.
- Photos, videos and other files from WhatsApp dialogs (which sometimes can really take up a lot of space).
- Downloaded files in the Downloads folder (which are often not needed after using them).
- Duplicate Files (“Same Files”).
For each of the items, there is the possibility of cleaning, while, for example, selecting an item and pressing the button to clear the memory, you can choose which elements should be deleted and which should be left (or delete all).
Android file management
The Files tab contains additional features:
- Access to certain categories of files in the file manager (for example, you can see all documents, audio, video on the device) with the ability to delete this data, or, if necessary, transfer it to an SD card.
- The ability to send files to nearby devices with the installed Files Go application (using Bluetooth).
Files Go Settings
It may also make sense to look at the settings of the Files Go application, which allow you to enable notifications, among which there are those that may be useful in the context of trash tracking on the device:
- About memory overflow.
- About the presence of unused applications (more than 30 days).
- About large folders with audio, video, photo files.
In my opinion, the release of such an application from Google is excellent, it will be even better if over time users (especially beginners) switch from using third-party utilities to clear memory on Files Go (or the application will even be integrated into Android). The reason that I think so is because:
- Google applications do not need obscure permissions to work that are potentially dangerous, they are free of advertising and rarely become worse and cluttered with unnecessary elements over time. But useful features are not rare.
- Some third-party cleaning applications, all sorts of “panicles” are one of the most common reasons for the strange behavior of your phone or tablet and the fact that your Android is quickly discharged . Very often, such applications require permissions that are difficult to explain, at least for the purpose of clearing the cache, internal memory, or even messages on Android.
Files Go is currently available for free on this page play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nbu.files .