Given the fact that today each user has far from one account in a wide variety of social networks, messengers and on various sites, as well as due to the fact that in modern conditions, for security reasons, it is advisable to use complex passwords that will be different for each of such a service (in more detail: About password security ), the question of reliable storage of credentials (logins and passwords) is very relevant.
This review contains 7 programs for storing and managing passwords, free and paid. The main factors for which I selected these password managers are multi-platform (support for Windows, MacOS and mobile devices, for convenient access to stored passwords from everywhere), the program’s life on the market (preference is given to products that have existed for more than a year), availability the Russian language of the interface, the reliability of storage - although this parameter is subjective: all of them in domestic use provide sufficient security for the stored data.
Note: if you need a password manager only for storing credentials from sites, it is quite possible that you do not need to install any additional programs - all modern browsers have a built-in password manager, they are relatively safe to store and synchronize between devices if you use account in the browser. In addition to password management, Google Chrome also has a built-in complex password generator .
Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but when it comes to storing important data such as passwords, I prefer that they be stored locally in an encrypted file (with the option of transferring it to other devices), without any browser extensions (which vulnerabilities are constantly being discovered). KeePass Password Manager is one of the most well-known free programs with open source and this approach is available in Russian.
- You can download KeePass from the official site https://keepass.info/ (both the installer and the portable version are available on the site, which does not require installation on a computer).
- On the same site, in the Translations section, download the Russian translation file, unzip it and copy it into the Languages folder of the program. Launch KeePass and select Russian interface language in the View - Change Language menu.
- After starting the program, you will need to create a new password file (an encrypted database with your passwords) and set the “Main Password” for this file itself. Passwords are stored in an encrypted database (you can work with several such databases), which you can transfer to any other device with KeePass. Password storage is organized in a tree structure (its sections can be changed), and when writing the password itself, the fields “Name”, “Password”, “Link” and “Comment” are available, where you can describe in detail what this password refers to - everything is enough convenient and simple.
If you wish, you can use the password generator in the program itself and, moreover, KeePass supports plugins, with which, for example, you can organize synchronization via Google Drive or Dropbox, automatically back up the data file, and much more.
LastPass is probably the most popular password manager available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. In fact, this is a cloud-based storage of your credentials and on Windows it works as a browser extension. The limitation of the free version of LastPass is the lack of synchronization between devices.
After installing the LastPass extension or mobile application and registering, you get access to password storage, the browser automatically adds data stored in LastPass, generates passwords (the item is added to the browser context menu), and checks the password strength. The interface is available in Russian.
You can download and install LastPass from the official Android and iOS app stores, as well as from the Chrome extension store. Official site - https://www.lastpass.com/en
RoboForm is another program in Russian for storing and managing passwords with the possibility of free use. The main limitation of the free version is the lack of synchronization between different devices.
After installing on a computer with Windows 10, 8 or Windows 7, Roboform installs both the extension in the browser (the screenshot above is an example from Google Chrome) and the program on the computer with which you can manage saved passwords and other data (protected bookmarks, notes, contacts, application data). Also, the background RoboForm process on the computer determines when you enter passwords not in browsers, but in programs and also offers to save them.
As in other similar programs, additional functions are available in RoboForm, such as a password generator, audit (security check), and organizing data into folders. You can download Roboform for free from the official website https://www.roboform.com/en
Kaspersky Password Manager
The program for storing passwords of Kaspersky Password Manager also consists of two parts: stand-alone software on the computer and a browser extension that takes data from an encrypted database on your disk. You can use it for free, but the restriction is much more significant than in previous versions: you can store only 15 passwords.
The main plus in my subjective opinion is offline storage of all data and a very convenient and intuitive program interface, which even a novice user will understand.
Program features include:
- Create strong passwords
- The ability to use various types of authentication to access the database: either using a master password, a USB key, or in other ways
- The ability to use a portable version of the program (on a USB flash drive or other drive) that does not leave traces on other PCs
- Storage of information on electronic payments, protected images, notes and contacts.
- Automatic backup
In general, a worthy representative of this class of programs, but: only one supported platform is Windows. You can download kaspersky Password Manager from the official site https://www.kaspersky.ru/password-manager
Other popular password managers
Below are a few more high-quality programs for storing passwords, but having some drawbacks: either the lack of a Russian interface language, or the inability to use it for free outside the trial period.
- 1Password is a very convenient multi-platform password manager, with the Russian language, but the inability to use it for free after the trial period. Official site - https://1password.com
- DashLane is another storage solution for logging in to sites, purchases, protected notes and contacts with synchronization on different devices. It works both as an extension in the browser and as a standalone application. The free version allows you to store up to 50 passwords without synchronization. Official site - https://www.dashlane.com/
- RememBear is a multi-platform solution for storing passwords and other important data, automatically filling out forms on websites and similar tasks. The Russian language of the interface is not available, but the program itself is very convenient. The limitation of the free version is the lack of synchronization and backup. Official website - https://www.remembear.com/
As the best, subjectively, I would choose the following solutions:
- KeePass Password Safe, provided that you require the storage of important credentials, and such things as automatic completion of forms or saving passwords from a browser, are optional. Yes, there is no automatic synchronization (but you can transfer the database manually), but all major operating systems are supported, the database with passwords is almost impossible to crack, the storage itself, although simple, is very conveniently organized. And all this is free and without registration.
- LastPass, 1Password or RoboForm (and, despite the fact that LastPass is more popular, I liked RoboForm and 1Password more), if you need synchronization and you are ready to pay for it.
Do you use password managers? And if so, which ones?