On this site you can find several popular tools for remotely controlling a computer with Windows or Mac OS (see Best programs for remote access and managing a computer ), one of them that stands out among others is Chrome Remote Desktop, also allowing you to connect to remote computers from another computer (on different operating systems), laptop, from a phone (Android, iPhone) or tablet.
This guide details how to download Chrome Remote Desktop for PC and mobile devices and use this tool to control a computer - your own or another user. As well as how to remove the application if necessary.
How to download and install Chrome Remote Desktop on a computer
Before proceeding with the installation of the Chrome remote desktop on your computer, consider the following important point: to be able to fully work with it, you must log in to your Google account in a browser: without it, you can use only the remote support feature, which is discussed later in the article.
The Chrome Remote Desktop extension is available in the official Google Chrome app store, but it’s more convenient to use the following steps to install and configure (on the computer that will be accessed):
- In the Google Chrome browser, go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/access and in the "Set up remote access" click on the download button.
- The Google Chrome Extensions Store window opens, download the Chrome Remote Desktop extension.
- After installing and starting the extension, you will also be offered to download and install an additional component that provides the ability to connect to a computer for remote control.
- The next step is to set the computer name. This refers to the current computer, when connected from other computers, laptops and mobile devices with your Google account, it will be displayed under this name.
- Set a pin code of at least 6 digits to connect to the current computer.
- After a short time (you will need to confirm user account control, if the settings are performed in Windows 10, 8.1 or Windows 7), the remote access from your other devices will be enabled on your computer.
Requirements for devices that connect to your computer:
- For computers - just have the Google Chrome browser installed, where you are logged in with the same account that was used to configure the computer that you want to remotely manage.
- For Android and iPhone mobile devices (iPad) - you need to install the Chrome Remote Desktop application from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.chromeremotedesktop or the App Store, You can also log in with your Google Account (the same one used to set up Chrome Remote Desktop).
How to connect and use Chrome Remote Desktop
Chrome Remote Desktop offers two modes of operation:
- Remote access - remotely control your computers from other devices with your Google account.
- Remote support - an operating mode in which you can get support from another person or provide it yourself.
Connection in the first case consists of the following steps:
- If access is from a computer: go to it at https://remotedesktop.google.com/access or click on the Chrome Remote Desktop extension icon.
- Choose an available remote computer - it should be turned on, configured, as in the first part of the manual, connected to the Internet. Running Google Chrome on a remote computer is optional.
- Enter the PIN code (you can turn off the PIN code request). Wait for the connection and start using it.
- On your mobile device, launch the Chrome Remote Desktop application, select your remote computer, enter the PIN code and proceed with remote management.
Connection in the "Remote Support" mode is also not difficult:
- The user who is connected to the computer must have the Chrome Remote Desktop components installed, they go to the same page (or click the extension icon) and go to the Remote Support tab.
- On this tab, in the "Get Support" section, click "Generate Code" and transfer the code to the person who will be connecting.
- A user who makes a remote connection goes to the remote access page and enters the code on the “Remote Support” tab in the “Providing Support” item.
- In this case, the first user will see a message stating that a connection is being made to his computer - he can allow it or deny it.
Further, the work takes place in the normal mode of remote access to a computer.
Further use of remote access should not be difficult: you control the remote computer using the keyboard and mouse, as usual, but in the Google Chrome browser window or in the mobile application.
On the right is the settings menu and the ability to enable full-screen mode, change the mode of operation with multiple monitors, transfer system keyboard shortcuts, and enable the use of a common clipboard (it will not work to transfer files with it, only text and graphic data).
In general, despite some limitations compared to similar commercial products, the Chrome Remote Desktop is an excellent option that works without failures (provided that there are no network problems), safe, easy to configure and use. Therefore, if you only need access to the remote desktop without additional functions of file transfer, screen recording, secretive use, I can safely recommend it.
By the way, if you are a Windows 10 user, you might not know that the built -in Quick Help application is present in the system, which allows you to quickly and without installing additional components connect to another person’s remote computer in remote support mode. And for full access, you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop (Microsoft Remote Desktop) .
How to remove Chrome Remote Desktop
If you need to remove the Chrome remote desktop from a Windows computer (on mobile devices, it will be deleted just like any other application), follow these simple steps:
- In the Google Chrome browser, go to the Services page - chrome: // apps /
- Right-click the Chrome Remote Desktop icon and select Remove from Chrome. You can also just right-click on the extension icon to the right of the address bar and delete it.
- Go to the control panel (in Windows 10 you can use the search in the taskbar to enter the control panel) - programs and components and delete the “Chrome Remote Desktop Host”.
This completes the uninstallation of the application.