In Windows 10, a new built-in application “Your Phone” has appeared, which allows you to establish a connection with your Android phone to receive and send SMS messages from your computer, as well as view photos stored on your phone. It is also possible to communicate with the iPhone, but there is not much benefit from it: only the transfer of information about the Edge open in the browser. At first it was a beta version, but now the final one is available, in which there is support for displaying notifications from a phone to a computer.
This instruction manual details how to connect your Android with Windows 10, how it works and what functions the “Your Phone” application on your computer currently represents. Important: only Android 7.0 or later is supported. If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, then for the same task you can use the official Samsung Flow app.
Your phone - launch and configure the application
You can find the “Your Phone” application in the Windows 10 Start menu (or use the search on the taskbar). If it is not found, you probably have a version system installed before 1809 (October 2018 Update), where this application first appeared. In version 1903, it was updated.
After starting the application, you will need to configure its connection with your phone using the following steps.
- Choose which phone you want to pair (most features are only supported for Android). Click “Get Started,” and then “Pair Phone.” If you are asked to log in to your Microsoft account in the application, do this (required for the application features to work). Please note: if you previously connected your phone to a computer, the choice between iPhone and Android may not appear.
- At the next stage, you will be offered to either send a link to download the application to your phone, or scan a QR code to quickly download the “Your Phone Manager” application.
- After clicking the Continue Driving button, the application will go into standby mode until the following steps are completed that must be completed on the phone.
- The phone will receive a link to download the “Your Phone Manager” application, or the desired Play Store page will open immediately if you used a QR code. Install the app.
- In the application, log in with the same account that was used in “Your Phone”. Of course, the Internet on the phone must be connected, as well as on the computer.
- Give the necessary permissions to the application. Moreover, for some of them a window appears, for some you may need to go into the phone settings or in the notification panel.
- After a while, the appearance of the application on the computer will change and now you will have the opportunity to read and send SMS messages through your Android phone, view and save photos from the phone to the computer (to save, use the menu that opens by right-clicking on the desired photo).
- Of the new features that have appeared is the receipt of notifications on the computer not only about SMS, but also from other applications. To enable notifications, go to the appropriate section of the application on the computer (an icon with a bell, provided that you see it: I had problems, more on that later) and enable the necessary permissions.
- In the application settings on the computer, you can enable or disable notifications and access to individual items. The application on the phone does not have settings as such: almost all items are informational or offering to download other Microsoft applications.
There are not many functions at the moment (but, in principle, they are sufficient), there are also some problems when working:
- Every now and then you have to click “Update” in the application to receive new pictures or messages, and if you do not, then, for example, a notification about a new message arrives a minute after it is received on the phone (but notifications are displayed even when the “Your phone” application " closed).
- After the first launch and test for the purposes of this article, the next time you launch the application, your phone on the computer has disappeared the item for receiving notifications from applications. At the same time, resetting the application, deleting the phone from the list of devices connected with Windows 10, setting up the connection from the very beginning did not return it.
Communication between devices is via the Internet, not a local area network. Sometimes this can be useful: for example, you can read and send messages even when the phone is not with you, but connected to the network. But keep in mind that data flows through Microsoft servers.
Should I use a new application? Its main plus is integration with Windows 10, but if you only need to send messages, the official way to send SMS from a computer from Google is , in my opinion, better. And if you need to manage the contents of your Android phone from your computer and access data, there are more effective tools, for example, AirDroid .