Not so long ago, I wrote a review of " Best Antivirus for Windows 10 ", which presented both paid and free antiviruses. At the same time, Bitdefender was presented in the first part and was absent in the second, because at that time the free version of the antivirus did not support Windows 10, now official support is present.
Despite the fact that Bitdefender is little known among ordinary users in our country and does not have a Russian interface language, this is one of the best antiviruses available, which for many years takes first place in all independent tests. And its free version is probably the most concise and simple antivirus program that works at the same time, providing a high level of protection against viruses and network threats, and at the same time does not attract your attention when it is not required.
Install Bitdefender Free Edition
Installation and initial activation of the free antivirus Bitdefender Free Edition may cause questions for a novice user (especially for someone who is not used to programs without the Russian language), and therefore I will fully describe the process.
- After starting the installation file downloaded from the official site (address below), click the Install button (you can also uncheck the collection of anonymous statistics on the left in the installation window).
- The installation process will take place in three main stages - downloading and unpacking Bitdefender files, preliminary scanning of the system and the installation itself.
- After that, click the “Sign in to Bitdefender” button. If this is not done, then when you try to use the antivirus, you will still be asked to enter.
- To use the antivirus, you will need a Bitdefender Central account. I assume that you do not have one, so in the window that appears, enter the Name, Surname, email address and the desired password. To avoid errors, I recommend entering them in Latin, and using a password is quite complicated. Click “Create Account”. In the future, if Bitdefender ever requests an entry, use E-mail as a login and your password.
- If everything went well, the Bitdefender antivirus window opens, which we will discuss later in the section on using the program.
- An e-mail will be sent to the e-mail specified in step 4 to confirm your account. In the email you received, click "Verify Now" (confirm now).
In steps 3 or 5, you will see a Windows 10 “Virus Protection Update” notification with text indicating that the virus protection is out of date. Click on this notification, or go to the control panel - Security and Service Center and there, in the "Security" section, click "Update Now."
You will be asked if you want to start the ProductActionCenterFix.exe application from Bitdefender. Answer “Yes, I trust the publisher and want to run this application” (it provides antivirus compatibility with Windows 10).
After that, you will not see any new windows (the application will run in the background), but to complete the installation you will need to restart the computer (it is a restart, not a shutdown: in Windows 10, this is important). When rebooting, you will have to wait for a while until the system parameters are updated. After rebooting, Bitdefender is installed and ready to go.
You can download the free Bitdefender Free Edition antivirus on its official page https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html
Using Free Bitdefender Antivirus
After the antivirus has been installed, it runs in the background and scans all the launched files, and at first also the data that is stored on your disks. You can open the antivirus window at any time using the shortcut on the desktop (or you can remove it from there), or using the Bitdefender icon in the notification area.
The Bitdefender Free window does not offer many functions: there is only information about the current status of anti-virus protection, access to settings, and the ability to scan any file by dragging it to the anti-virus window (you can also check files through the context menu by right-clicking on the file and by selecting “Scan with Bitdefender”).
Bitdefender settings are also not the ones to get confused:
- Protection tab - to enable or disable anti-virus protection.
- Events - a list of antivirus events (detections and actions taken).
- Quarantine - quarantined files.
- Exclusions - to add antivirus exceptions.
This is all that can be said about the use of this antivirus: I warned at the beginning of the review that everything will be very simple.
Note: the first 10-30 minutes after installation Bitdefender can slightly “load” a computer or laptop, after that the use of system resources returns to normal and does not make fans even my weak laptop dedicated for experiments make noise.
After installation, the Bitdefender Free Edition antivirus disables Windows 10 Defender, however, if you go to Settings (Win + I keys) - Update and Security - Windows Defender, you can enable the "Limited periodic scan" there.
If it is turned on, from time to time, as part of the Windows 10 maintenance, an automatic virus scan will be performed using the defender or you will see a proposal to perform such a scan in the system notifications.
Do I recommend using this antivirus? Yes, I recommend (and I installed it on my computer over the last year, without comment) if you need better protection than the built-in Windows 10 antivirus, but you want third-party protection to be just as simple and “quiet”. May also interest: Best free antivirus .