In foreign reviews, I came across a data recovery program from DoYourData, which I had not heard about before. Moreover, in the reviews found, it is positioned as one of the best solutions, if necessary, to restore data from a USB flash drive or hard drive after formatting, deleting, or file system errors in Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7.
Do Your Data Recovery is available both in paid Pro and in the free Free version. As it usually happens, the free version is limited, but the restrictions are pretty acceptable (compared to some other similar programs) - you can restore no more than 1 GB of data (although, under certain conditions, as it turned out, you can do more, as I mention) .
In this review - in detail about the data recovery process in the free Do Your Data Recovery and the results obtained. May also be useful: Best free data recovery software .
Data recovery process
To test the program, I used my flash drive, empty (everything was deleted) at the time of verification, which in recent months has been used to transfer articles of this site between computers.
Additionally, the flash drive was formatted from the FAT32 file system to NTFS before starting data recovery in Do Your Data Recovery.
- The first step after starting the program is to select a drive or partition to search for lost files. The upper part displays the connected drives (sections on them). At the bottom - possibly lost sections (but also just hidden sections without a letter, as in my case). Select the flash drive and click "Next".
- The second step is the selection of the types of files to be searched, as well as two options: Quick Recovery (quick recovery) and Advanced Recovery (advanced recovery). I used the second option, because from experience fast recovery in similar programs usually works only for files deleted “past” the basket. After setting the options, click “Scan” and wait. The process for a 16 GB USB0 drive took 20-30 minutes. Found files and folders appear in the list already in the search process, but a preview is not possible until the scan is completed.
- After the scan is completed, you will see a list of found files sorted by folders (for those folders whose names could not be restored, the name will look like DIR1, DIR2, etc.).
- You can also view files sorted by type or time of creation (change) using the switch at the top of the list.
- Double-clicking on any of the files opens a preview window in which you can see the contents of the file in the form in which it will be restored.
- After marking the files or folders that you want to recover, click the Recover button, and then specify the folder where you want to restore. Important: do not restore data to the same drive from which recovery is performed.
- Upon completion of the recovery process, you will receive a success report with information on how much data can still be recovered for free from a total of 1024 MB.
According to the results in my case: the program worked no worse than other excellent programs for data recovery, the recovered images and documents are readable and not damaged, and the drive was used quite actively.
When testing the program, I found an interesting detail: when previewing files, if Do Your Data Recovery Free does not support this type of file in its viewer, a program opens on the computer for viewing (for example, Word, for docx files). From this program, you can save the file to the desired location on the computer, and the counter “free megabytes” will not calculate the volume of the file saved in this way.
As a result: in my opinion, the program can be recommended, it works correctly, and the limitations of the free version of 1 GB, taking into account the possibility of choosing specific files for recovery, may well be enough in many cases.
You can download Do Your Data Recovery Free from the official website http://www.doyourdata.com/data-recovery-software/free-data-recovery-software.html