In this instruction for beginners, there are 5 ways to find out which processor is installed on your computer or laptop, as well as get additional information about the installed CPU.
The first two methods are suitable only for Windows 10, the rest - for all recent versions of Windows. It may also be interesting: How to find out the temperature of a processor , How to find out how many cores a processor has , How to find out a socket on a motherboard and a processor .
Simple methods to determine the model of the CPU (central processing unit of the computer)
The following is a listing of 5 different ways to view the processor model in Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7:
- Windows 10 only: go to Start - Settings - System and open the "About System" in the menu on the left. In the “Device Features” section, among other information, the processor model is also indicated.
- Windows 10 Task Manager also provides the necessary information: right-click on the "Start" button, select "Task Manager", and then go to the "Performance" tab and open the "CPU" item. At the top right, you will see which processor is on your PC or laptop, below is additional information.
- Press the Win + R keys on your keyboard (Win is the key with the Windows logo), type msinfo32 and press Enter. In the system information window that opens, on the left, you will see the "Processor" item with the information you need.
- Open a command prompt and enter the command
wmic cpu get name and press Enter. Your processor model is displayed.
- There are many third-party programs to view the characteristics of the computer and almost all of them show the installed processor. The CPU-Z program from the official site https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html focuses specifically on the characteristics of the CPU: here you will find not only the processor model, but also additional useful information.
As a rule, the described methods are enough to determine the model of the installed processor, but there are others: for example, look in BIOS / UEFI. I deliberately do not bring such methods as disassembling a computer and see - this is not the most convenient option.
At the end of the video instruction, where all the approaches described are shown clearly and with explanations.
I hope this article is helpful to some readers. If you still have questions, feel free to ask them in the comments.