Samsung Flow is the official application for Samsung Galaxy smartphones that allows you to connect your mobile device to a computer or laptop with Windows 10 via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for the ability to transfer files between a PC and a phone, receive and send SMS messages, remotely control the phone from a computer and others tasks. This will be discussed in this review.
Earlier, the site published several materials about programs that allow you to connect an Android phone to a computer via Wi-Fi for various tasks, they may be useful for you: remote access to a phone from a computer in AirDroid and AirMore programs , sending SMS from a computer using the Microsoft application How to transfer an image from an Android phone to a computer with the ability to control in ApowerMirror .
Where to download Samsung Flow and how to set up a connection
In order to connect your Samsung Galaxy and Windows 10, you first need to download the Samsung Flow app for each of them:
After downloading and installing applications, launch them on both devices, and make sure that they are connected to the same local network (i.e. to the same Wi-Fi router, the PC can also be connected via cable) or paired via Bluetooth.
Further configuration steps consist of the following steps:
- In the application on your smartphone, click "Start", and then accept the terms of the license agreement.
- If the PIN code for the account is not installed on your computer, you will be asked to do this in the Windows 10 application (by clicking on the button you will go to the system settings for setting the PIN code). For basic functionality this is optional, you can click "Skip". If you want to be able to unlock the computer using your phone, set the PIN code, and after installing it, click “OK” in the window offering to enable unlocking using Samsung Flow.
- The application on the computer will search for devices with Galaxy Flow installed, click on your device.
- A key will be generated to register the device. Make sure that it matches on the phone and the computer, click OK on both devices.
- After a short period of time, everything will be ready, and on the phone you will need to provide a number of permissions to the application.
This completes the basic settings, you can start using it.
How to use Samsung Flow and application features
Immediately after opening the application, both on the smartphone and on the computer look approximately the same: it looks like a chat window in which you can send text messages between devices (in my opinion, it is useless) or files (this is more useful).
To transfer a file from a computer to a smartphone, just drag it to the application window. In order to send a file from the phone to the computer, click on the “paper clip” icon and select the desired file.
Then I ran into a problem: in my case, the file transfer did not work in any direction, regardless of whether I configured the PIN code in the 2nd step, how exactly I made the connection (via a router or Wi-Fi Direct). It was not possible to find the reason. Perhaps this is due to the lack of Bluetooth on the PC where the application was tested.
Notifications, sending SMS and messages in instant messengers
Notifications about messages (along with their text), letters, calls and Android service notifications will also come in the Windows 10 notification area. Moreover, if you receive an SMS or a message in the messenger, you can send a response directly in the notification.
Also, by opening the "Notifications" section in the Samsung Flow application on the computer and clicking on the notification with a message, you can open correspondence with a specific person and write your messages. However, not all messengers can be supported. Unfortunately, you cannot initiate correspondence initially from a computer (it is required that at least one message from a contact is received in the Samsung Flow application on Windows 10).
Manage Android from PC in Samsung Flow
The Samsung Flow application allows you to display the screen of your phone on a computer with the ability to control it with the mouse, keyboard input is also supported. To start the function, click on the “Smart View” icon.
At the same time, it is possible to create screenshots with automatic saving to the computer, adjust the resolution (the lower the resolution, the faster it will work), a list of favorite applications for their quick launch.
Unlocking a computer with a smartphone and fingerprint, face scan or iris scan
If in the 2nd step of the setup you created a PIN code and enabled unlocking your computer using Samsung Flow, then you can unlock your computer using your phone. To do this, in addition, you will need to open the settings of the Samsung Flow application, the “Device Management” item, click on the settings icon for the paired computer or laptop, and then specify verification methods: if you enable “simple unlock”, then the system will log in automatically, when provided that the phone is unlocked in any way. If Samsung Pass is turned on, then unlocking will be done according to biometric data (prints, irises, face).
It looks like this for me: I turn on the computer, remove the screen with landscapes, see the lock screen (the one where the password or PIN code is usually entered), if the phone is unlocked, the computer will unlock immediately (and if the phone is locked - just unlock it in any way )
In general, the function works, but: when you turn on the computer, the application does not always find a connection to the computer, despite the fact that both devices are connected to a Wi-Fi network (perhaps when pairing via Bluetooth everything would be easier and more efficient) and then, accordingly, Unlocking does not work, it remains to enter the PIN code or password as usual.
The most important thing about using Samsung Flow seems to be noted. Some additional points you might find helpful:
- If the connection is made via Bluetooth, and you start the mobile access point (hot spot) on your Galaxy, then you can connect to it without entering a password by pressing the button in the Samsung Flow application on the computer (the one that is not active in my screenshots).
- In the application settings, both on the computer and on the phone, you can specify the location for saving the transferred files.
- In the application on your computer, you can activate the shared clipboard with the Android device by clicking the button on the far left.
I hope for some of the owners of the phones of this brand, the instruction will be useful, and the file transfer will work properly.