If you need to create a full backup of Windows 10 with all files, settings and programs for quick system recovery or for other purposes (for example, using a backup, you can transfer Windows 10 to an SSD or other drive ), for this there are built-in system tools , and third-party programs with their advantages, more about all the methods in a separate article How to create a backup of Windows 10 .
EaseUS Todo Backup Free is one of the free programs that allows you to quickly and conveniently back up Windows 10 (and other systems) and perform recovery from them in various ways, including from a bootable USB flash drive that is created in the program itself. This review details how to back up Windows 10 using software from Easeus and perform further recovery in the future.
I note that I would describe this program as a solution for novice users, if you need more powerful free backup tools, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Free and creating a Windows backup in Macrium Reflect Free .
Creating a backup in Todo Backup Free, the possibility of a free version of the program
The process of creating a backup of Windows 10 or another version of the system in Easeus Todo Backup Free, despite the lack of a Russian interface language, is very simple:
- In the main program window, click the "System Backup" button.
- The current system for backup will be automatically selected (a section with the bootloader will also be placed in the backup). You can specify the backup location (ideally on a separate physical disk), the name of the backup and description, and, if necessary, set up a backup schedule.
- In the item “Backup Options” (backup options) you can configure the compression of the backup, its breakdown into pieces of the desired size, as well as encryption in the item “Encryption”.
- Click the “Proceed" button to begin creating a backup.
- Wait until the backup of Windows is completed, it may take a long time, which depends on the speed of your HDD or SSD and the amount of system files.
In fact, this completes the process of creating a backup: it can be used at any time to completely restore the system even when the computer does not boot or the hard disk (SSD) has been replaced with a new one.
Restore from backup in Easeus ToDo Backup Free
Restoring from a backup created in Easeus ToDo Backup Free can be started from a program inside the running system by clicking the Recovery button next to the image or, if it is not displayed, selecting the image by clicking “Browse To Recover”, but I would recommend creating a bootable USB flash drive ( drive) to restore or integrate ToDo Backup recovery into the Windows 10 boot menu:
- Click on the tool button and select “Create Emergency Disk” to create a recovery disk or flash drive, or “Enable PreOS” to add the ability to start recovery in the menu before Windows starts. I recommend the first option, as it will help even in the event of a system drive malfunction.
- The disk can be created on the basis of WinPE or Linux, if you do not know which option to choose - I recommend WinPE (selected by default). Indicate whether you want to create an ISO image for recovery, a bootable USB flash drive, or burn a CD / DVD, if necessary, add drive drivers (Add driver item), click Create. When asked about where you want to obtain data for recording a WinPE image, specify "Download from Microsoft."
- Wait until the creation of the bootable USB flash drive or disk.
Now at any time you can boot the computer from the created drive and perform a system restore from a backup:
- In BIOS / UEFI, boot from the created USB drive or disk, or rather use the Boot Menu . There is no need to disable Secure Boot or enable Legacy boot (in case of WinPE). At the prompt “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD”, press any key.
- Once launched, you will see the standard Easeus Todo Backup window. If the program detects backups, just click the “Recovery” button next to the backup. Otherwise, click “Browse to recover” and specify the path to the backup.
- The sections stored in the Windows 10 backup are displayed, click “Next”.
- Select the physical disk to be restored to. Note: all data and partitions from it will be deleted and overwritten by those stored in the backup.
- Click “Proceed", confirm that you agree with the deletion of all data from the target disk and wait for the system recovery from backup to complete.
- Upon completion, just click “Finish”, close the program window and restart the computer from the system hard drive or SSD. At the first start after recovery, an automatic disk check for errors using chkdsk may start.
As a result, if everything went well, the system will be completely restored in the form with the files and programs that were in it at the time of the backup. In my test, everything worked correctly and no problems were noticed. Do I recommend? I can’t say for sure: in my opinion, the funds mentioned at the beginning of the article are still preferable. However, I do not exclude that for someone this option will seem more simple and convenient.
You can download Easeus ToDo Backup Free from the official website https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html . When installing instead of Install free, you can select the “Try Home Edition” option, then within 30 days you will also be able to unlock additional program features, such as transferring the system to another disk.