There are many tweaker programs for adjusting system parameters, some of which are hidden from the user. And, probably, the most powerful of them today is the free Winaero Tweaker utility, which allows you to configure a lot of parameters related to the design and behavior of the system to your taste.
In this review - in detail about the main functions in the Winaero Tweaker program in relation to Windows 10 (although the utility works for Windows 8, 7) and some additional information.
Install Winaero Tweaker
After downloading and starting the installer, there are two options for installing the utility: simple installation (with the program registered in the "Programs and Features") or simply unpacking to the folder you specified on the computer (the result is a portable version of Winaero Tweaker).
I prefer the second option, you can choose the one that you like best.
Using Winaero Tweaker to customize the appearance and behavior of Windows 10
Before starting to change anything using the system tweaks presented in the program, I highly recommend creating a Windows 10 recovery point in case something goes wrong.
After starting the program, you will see a simple interface in which all the settings are divided into main sections:
- Appearance - design
- Advanced Appearance - additional (advanced) design options
- Behavior - behavior.
- Boot and Logon - boot and log in.
- Desktop and Taskbar - desktop and taskbar.
- Context Menu - a context menu.
- Settings and Control Panel - parameters and control panel.
- File Explorer - Explorer.
- Network - a network.
- User Accounts - user accounts.
- Windows Defender - Windows Defender.
- Windows Apps - Windows applications (from the store).
- Privacy - privacy.
- Tools - tools.
- Get Classic Apps - Get classic apps.
I will not list all the functions that are on the list (besides, it seems that in the near future the Russian language Winaero Tweaker should appear, where the possibilities will be clearly explained), but I will note some parameters that in my experience are the most popular among Windows users 10, grouping them into sections (also provides instructions on how to set up the same manually).
In the design options section, you can:
- Enable Aero Lite Hidden Theme.
- Change the appearance of the Alt + Tab menu (change the transparency, the degree of darkening of the desktop, return the classic menu Alt + Tab).
- Enable colored window titles, as well as change the color of the title (Colored Title Bars) of the inactive window (Inactive Title Bars Color).
- Enable the dark theme of the design of Windows 10 (now you can do it in the personalization settings).
- Change the behavior of Windows 10 themes (Theme Behavior), in particular, to ensure that the application of the new theme does not change the mouse pointers and desktop icons. More on themes and their manual configuration - Windows 10 themes .
Previously, the site had instructions on the topic How to change the font size of Windows 10 , especially relevant in light of the fact that the font size setting has disappeared in Creators Update. In Winaero Tweaker, in the advanced settings section, you can configure not only the font sizes for each of the elements (menus, icons, messages), but also select a specific font and its font (to apply the settings, you will need to click “Apply Changes”, exit the system and go into it again).
Here you can adjust the size of the scroll bars, window borders, the height and font of the window titles. If you didn’t like the results, use the Reset Advanced Appearance Settings item to discard the changes.
The Behavior section changes some parameters of Windows 10 operation, among which it should be highlighted:
Boot and Logon
The following settings may be useful in the boot and login options:
- In the Boot Options section you can enable “Always show advanced boot parameters”, which allows you to easily enter safe mode if necessary, even if the system does not start in normal mode, see How to enter Windows 10 safe mode .
- Default Lock Screen Background - allows you to set the wallpaper for the lock screen, and the Disable Lock Screen function - disable the lock screen (see How to disable the Windows 10 lock screen ).
- The Network Icon on Lock Screen and Power Button on the Login Screen settings allow you to remove the network icon and the “power button” from the lock screen (it can be useful to prevent connecting to the network without logging into the system and limiting login to the recovery environment).
- Show Last Logon Info - allows you to see information about the previous login (see How to view information about logins in Windows 10 ).
Desktop and Taskbar
This section of Winaero Tweaker contains many interesting parameters, but I don’t remember that I was often asked about some of them. You can experiment: among other things, here you can turn on the "old" style of volume control and displaying battery power, displaying seconds on the clock in the taskbar, turn off live tiles for all applications, turn off Windows 10 notifications.
Context menu options allow you to add additional context menu items for the desktop, explorer, and some types of files. Among the often sought after:
- Add Command Prompt as Administrator - Adds the command line item to the context menu. When called in the folder, it works like the previously present command "Open the command window here" (see How to return the "Open command window" in the context menu of Windows 10 folders ).
- Bluetooth Context Menu - adding a section of the context menu for calling up Bluetooth functions (connecting devices, transferring files and others).
- File Hash Menu - adding an item to calculate the file checksum using different algorithms (see How to find out the hash or file checksum and what it is ).
- Remove Default Entries - allows you to remove the default context menu items (although they are in English, they will be deleted in the Russian version of Windows 10).
Settings and Control Panel
There are only three options: the first allows you to add the “Windows Update” item to the control panel, the next ones remove the Windows Insider page from the settings and add the “Share” settings page in Windows 10.
Explorer settings allow you to do the following useful things:
- Remove Compressed Overlay Icon, remove or change shortcut arrows (Shortcut Arrow). See How to remove Windows 10 shortcut arrows .
- Remove the text "shortcut" when creating shortcuts (Disable Shortcut Text).
- Configure computer folders (displayed in "This Computer" - "Folders" in Explorer). Remove unnecessary and add your own (Customize This PC Folders).
- Select the initial folder when opening the explorer (for example, instead of quick access, immediately open “This computer”) - File Explorer Starting Folder item.
It allows you to change some of the parameters of operation and access to network drives, but for the average user, the Set Ethernet As Metered Connection function, which establishes a network connection via cable as a limit connection (which may be useful for traffic costs, but at the same time will turn off the automatic, may be most useful) downloading updates). See Windows 10 spending Internet, what to do?
The following options are available here:
Windows Defender (Windows Defender)
The Windows Defender Management section allows you to:
Windows Applications (Windows Apps)
The application settings of the Windows 10 store allow you to disable their automatic updating, enable the classic Paint, select the download folder of the Microsoft Edge browser and return the request “Do you want to close all tabs?” if you disabled it in Edge.
There are only two points in the settings for setting the privacy of Windows 10 - disabling the button for viewing the password when entering (the eye next to the password field) and disabling Windows 10 telemetry.
The Tools section contains several utilities: creating a shortcut that will be launched as administrator, combining .reg files, resetting the icon cache, changing information about the manufacturer and owner of the computer.
Get Classic Apps (Get Classic Apps)
This section contains mainly links to articles by the author of the program, which show how to download classic applications for Windows 10, with the exception of the first option:
And some others.
If any of your changes needed to be undone, select the item that you changed in Winaero Tweaker and click "Revert this page to defaults" at the top. Well, if something went wrong, try using a system restore point.
In general, perhaps this tweaker has the most extensive set of necessary functions, while, as far as I can tell, it spares the system. Only some options that can be found in special programs for disabling Windows 10 surveillance are missing from it, on this topic here - How to disable Windows 10 surveillance .
You can download the Winaero Tweaker program from the official website of the developer http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796 (use the Download Winaero Tweaker link at the bottom of the page).